Thursday, July 11, 2013

Burrito Quest - Poncho 8

*I wrote this piece almost 2 weeks ago but do to some seizures and other issues it didn't get posted until now. So any references to time will be a few weeks off.


The quest continues this time with Poncho 8. Poncho 8 currently has 5 locations all in central London. I accompanied Priya to work Monday morning and decided rather than rushing home I would use the opportunity to try a new burrito. I had heard about Poncho 8 online through another blog and I had walked past one of the locations before. The location I ended up eating at is right next to St Paul’s Cathedral, which is one of the large tourist attractions downtown. The location is about a mile and a half from Priya’s office. There is actually a Poncho 8 location that was closer to Priya’s office but when I got to that closer location it was only about 9:40am needless to say it would be a little while before lunch time so I decide to keep going. On a surprising note I discovered that this particular Poncho 8 location, closest to Priya’s office, opened at 8am and served breakfast burritos. Part of me wanted to go in and try one but I always prefer a real burrito to a breakfast burrito. Maybe in the future I’ll go ahead and try one but not this time. Since it was so early I just kept walking mostly to waste time. I ended up by St Paul’s around 10am. That location did not open until 10:45am so I had to wait around. I went into St Paul’s for a little while to look around. It wasn't my first time there but it is still a cool building to look at.

            St Paul's Cathedral
Finally it was 10:45 and while I knew I should probably wait until 11am to go there in order to give them more time to have everything ready I just couldn't wait and I went in. I soon discovered I was right to want to wait because their chicken was not ready. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves rather let’s recap how I judge the burritos. I do it based on eight categories. First is the quantity of available options on the menu. Second is the quality of the individual ingredients. Third is the ratio of those ingredients in the burrito basically how much of each ingredient is there. Forth is the strength and execution of the wrap, does the tortilla tear easily or fall apart in my hand? Fifth is the size of the burrito bigger is usually better. Sixth is the overall taste of the burrito. Seventh is the price of the burrito. I’m willing to pay for quality. Eighth and lastly is what I call the two hour tummy factor. Meaning how does the burrito makes me feel a few hours later because it can be great in your mouth but not so great in your digestive system especially if you are walking home, which I almost always am. Now the other variable that is much harder to take into account is that of the individual server who is helping you. Often when a burrito is made it is difficult to know if the ratios of each ingredient given to you are those that the restaurant wants or just those that the server feels like giving. Similarly when it comes to the strength of the wrap it often comes down to the skill and experience of the person wrapping the burrito rather than just the quality of the tortilla. Due to this is can be hard to properly judge a place without going there a few times unless the food is just horrible than what’s the point, right? So I try to be fair to all the places I go especially the first time and focus more on the food rather than the service.

So I walked in at 10:45am and of course I was the only person in the restaurant. The store is fairly small but it can comfortably sit about 15 people, which for a small restaurant in central London is quite a lot. Most of the employees were in the back working on getting all the food prepared for the day. This gave me a chance to look at the menu closely. I found the selection to be quite impressive. I ended up ordering a pork burrito because the chicken was not quite done cooking (downside to being there right when the door opens). I got it on a white tortilla with tomato rice, black beans, pico de gallo (mild) and green chili (medium) salsa, cheese and jalapenos. So let me now rate this burrito.

First comes the quantity of options. Poncho 8 did quite well in this category. They had the typical four meat options (chicken, pork, steak and barbacoa) and then for the vegetarians they had tofu that had been marinated in their special spices. I hadn't seen that anywhere else yet but since I’m not a vegetarian other things stuck out more to me than that. First was they had two tortilla options one was the normal white tortilla while the second was a brown whole wheat tortilla for those who may want to feel like they are eating healthier, even if they’re not. Another nice option was that they had fresh cut jalapenos as one of their fillings. I haven’t seen that anywhere else and I really liked it. The rest was pretty much what would be expected. Two kinds of rice, brown and tomato and three different salsas (mild=pico de gallo: medium=green chili: hot=red chili) then sour cream, cheese, guacamole, grilled vegetables and lettuce. You could order all of this as a burrito, a salad bowl, tacos or what they called a nacho box. I saw someone after me order a nacho box. They basically just dump everything on top of tortilla chips and I admit it looked pretty good because they certainly did not skimp on the amount of ingredients they put on there and you end up with tortilla chips, which looked great.    

Second comes evaluating the individual ingredients on their own. Before I placed my order I asked if I could sample their hot and medium salsa so I could choose which to get. I knew I would get the pico de gallo because I just love it. The medium was the green chili and it was great. It had a nice kick to it and just a hint of sweetness if you left it on your tongue without washing it away with other food or water. The hot salsa was a red chili. It was certainly hotter and while it was good I just didn't like the flavor as much as the medium. I am partial to green chili over red chili salsas so my opinion there really is not a surprise. The rice was fresh and moist. The tomatoes in the white rice made the rice nice and juicy as well as giving it some flavor. The black beans were fine, nothing amazing but nothing bad. The pork, which they said is marinated overnight, was good though I would be interested in trying the chicken. I liked the pork but not as much as say the carnitas at Chipotle. In part because I felt it was shredded a little too much. It would sometimes get stuck between your teeth because the meat was so thin. That tended to only happen when I ate the meat alone once it was mixed with the salsas and other stuff that issue didn't really reoccur still it was shredded a little thin for me. The flavor of the pork was good though I don’t know if the medium salsa was the best compliment for it. The salsas were great but like I said I might not have picked the best combination of meat and salsa. The cheese was great and the jalapenos were fresh and wonderful. The jalapenos might have been my favorite part of the burrito they really had a lot of spice since they were just raw not cooked down in anything else. So overall I would say all the ingredients I had were of high quality.

Third is the ingredients ratio in the burrito. The server I had was very nice to me and did a great job spreading out the ingredients. She gave a nice amount of rice and beans and didn't over stuff it with meat like has happened to me at a few other places. I know meat is the expensive part and so you would think a place that gives you more meat is giving you more for you money but I just find that a burrito with too much meat ends up being a bit boring and plain because all the other ingredients don’t get mixed together as well. So again she put a good amount of pork in the burrito, not too much. The salsas were good, She knew to spread around the pico de gallo a bit more than the green chili salsa because it isn't really a liquid like the other salsas are and thus it won’t weave its way through the burrito the way a liquid salsa can. The cheese was perfect and the jalapenos were laid out all over. At first I thought she gave me too many jalapenos but once I had the burrito I found out that she had been right and I was wrong because they were great.
Forth is the wrap. When the server wrapped my burrito I thought one of the ends was already breaking open as I could see salsa on it already. When I got to my seat and opened the foil I found that the burrito wasn't actually tearing rather some of the salsa must have gotten on her gloves as she rolled the burrito and ended up on the end when she pushed it together. The burrito stayed perfectly wrapped the whole way through. I was even able to stop eating half way through, stand it up and hold it with one hand to take a picture of it and there were no structural issues with a torn tortilla or ingredients spilling out everywhere. The wrap was so good my fingers actually stayed dry, no salsa or meat juices, all the way to the last bite. This was one of the best wrapped burritos I have had here in London so I give Poncho 8 high marks for that.

Fifth is the size. Now part of the reason the burrito held up so good was that it wasn't a huge burrito. Lengthwise it was a bit longer than most of the burritos I have been getting here, including the average Chipotle burrito, but widthwise it was much skinnier. The width was about the size of a coke can. Now there are benefits to skinnier burritos such as I have already mentioned they tend to be easy to hold because you can do it with one hand. Also the ingredients tends to distribute better and you get less areas dominated by a single ingredient (meat bite or rice bite) such as can happen with larger burritos. Still I wish it had been a bit larger around.

Sixth, overall taste. Here I would give Poncho 8 very high marks. I enjoyed every bite of my burrito and while I said earlier I might not have picked the best salsa, meat combination it was still very good. The rice, salsas, cheese and jalapenos were my favorite parts and they all went well together. The pork was good though I really want to try the chicken next time. I think chicken would go better with the medium salsa. I think the hot salsa would have complimented the pork a bit better. Still when I am eating something great and I know it could be even better that makes me pretty happy and excites me to come again.

Seventh is price. The price of the burrito was average. It was 6.30 pounds for a pork burrito and 1 pound for a can of coke. I will say they do keep their coke cans fairly cold. Many places I go around town hand you a coke can that is barely chilled when you first get it so you are lucky to get even 3 good, cold sips out of it. But here their coke stayed cold making the pound definitely worth it.

Eight and lastly is the two hour tummy factor. Now here I don’t know if I can be a fair in my judgment of Poncho 8. After I left the restaurant I had to walk to the British Museum and then to a tube station to get home, about 2 miles of walking. This in of itself is not a big deal but something bad happened in that once I got on the train and headed home I realized I had lost something from my wallet. I began to freak out a little and I had to get on the train going back into London and try and find what I had lost. I spent 3 hours basically running everywhere I had been that day trying to find what I had lost and this led me to develop a stomach ache. Not the kind where you feel nauseous but rather where you have a sharp pain in your side more like a muscle cramp than a stomach ache. The combination of soda, worrying and running around is mostly likely what caused the pain not the food itself. I didn't have any bad bathroom experiences so despite the stomach pain I would have to say Poncho 8 is a good burrito to the digestive system.

So based on my one visit I would have to say that Poncho 8 is already one of my favorite burritos here in London. I would give it an 8.5 out of 10 and I have a feeling the chicken could make it a 9. I would recommend this place to anyone who lives here and wants a good, fresh burrito or perhaps a nacho box. You will get your money’s worth at Poncho 8.


Here are some pictures. 










Other Burrito Blogs
Previous: Wahaca
Next: Burrito Cafe  

No comments:

Post a Comment